Friday, September 6, 2024

Back by popular Demand!

 "DOCTOR! DOCTOR!" I yelled as best I could.

In through the door came the most voluptuous nurse I have ever seen. Through bloodshot and blurry eyes I could barely make out her name tag. Feelgood. Nurse Feelgood. You have got to be kidding me, I thought. I shook my head and rubbed my eyes. Sure enough, it said Feelgood.

"Nurse Feelgood." I said. "Where am I? What happened to me?" 

A million other questions racing through my head. Like, "What's a beautiful nurse doing in a place like this? Does she have a sister named Bambi Poledancer that lives in South Dakota? What time is my sponge bath?"

Before I could get any answers she said "I've paged your Doctor. He wanted to know the minute you woke up."

In through the door came Doctor, I kid you not, Bonebreaker. 

"You've finally woken up, Mr Allejandro. You've been in a coma for  5 months." he said.

"What? You're kidding right? What day is it?" was all I could say.

"It is the beginning of September, 2024. Do you remember anything, anything at all Mr Allejandro?"

"Please, call me Tango. All I remember is that we, my wife Gladys and I, were getting ready for soup season. Soup season is big where we come from. Bigger than fishing season and lasts almost as long. We were slinging soup over there and over there and pretty much everywhere. I remember I had a ladle in one hand and a Cheesey Sasquatch in the other. I don't remember anything after that. My wife? Where is she?"

Nurse Feelgood jumped in here. "I can answer that Mr. Alej......ah, Tango. I was reading one of those garbage blogs. You know the ones. The ones like the National Enquirer. According to this blog she became a detective somewhere. Hunting down animal haters or something like that. I really didn't read the whole thing because it was such garbage. I printed it if you want to see it, although I think I may have lined the bottom of the birdcage with it."

"That can't be." I said. "She hates guns. She pretty much hates anything that makes a loud noise."

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of Our Lives".*(Slogan for the soap opera, Days of Our Lives.

Why did I open with all of that nonsense? I wanted to show a particular blogger that I too, can write fiction, so that if he doesn't want to become my next subject, he should cease and desist. But if you don't know what I am talking about I will share his link here. Jim's fictional tale.

Well it is the beginning of September and Lisa and I are looking back now and going, "Where the heck did summer go?" We have had such a busy summer with our food trailer that the time literally just flew by. Not kidding there. As I write this the number of events we have left are in the teens now. We will still go to the middle of October but we can see the end in sight. We have done fewer events than our first year, but we have picked up larger ones than we had the first year also. 92 events opposed to 80 this year. 

Things have gone easier than our first year and we are much more comfortable with what we are doing. Fewer hurdles in our way and we keep learning more all of the time. We have met so many great people out there. Other food vendors who we don't see as competition but rather as partners. More trailers attract more people. So many places we return to over and over again because we like the people there and a few we have become friends with. (Secret, we are not people, people) 

Things that happen quite often:

1) There are so many events we go to with lots of people. So many times someone will come up to our window and first ask us if we take cash? Uh, yes? "Good, all I have is a hundred dollar bill". I feel like we should change our name to Lone Pine Soup Company and Bank.

2) I don't take the orders. Lisa does because I would not have the patience for it. People will walk up and ask,"What do you recommend?" or "What's your favorite thing to eat?" Come on people, make your own decisions. My answer would be like "A cheeseburger, now get the heck out of here!"

3) Special orders. I get used to making things the way we advertise them. But people always will want something omitted or added or changed. I have thrown a lot of food away because I did not see the special order part.

4) My favorite. People will order their food and than ask if they can get it to go. We are a food trailer. Of course you are getting it to go. Do you think we are going to let you eat it inside? See my eyes rolling?

So, we are nearing the end of our second year and looking forward to putting the trailer away for the season. Then we can finally take a day off before we start booking for next year. And when I say we, I mean Lisa. LOL. I will finally have time to finish the work in the cabin.

Speaking of the cabin, we finally got to our flooring. We hired that done, because there was no way I could get down on my knees for days working on that. I'm not called "Cripple Guy Construction" for nothing. Don't get me wrong. I could probably get down on the ground. Getting up would be the problem. It really looks great.

Hallway.

Boom-boom room.

Kitchen.

We have not had flooring for 3 years. It's like living in a house.
Living room.

The carpet in the living room and bedroom sure is nice. Now all I have left is trim work. Miles and miles of trim. Some of that stuff is not cheap. 

We have also managed to spend time with the grandkids. We can't believe that they have started school and pre-school now. 

That is it in a nutshell. 








4 comments:

  1. I’ll bet you look forward to October. Sounds like year 2 was a success. Flooring looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wouldn't call us experts yet, but we aren't "noobs" either. I like seeing your Alaska pictures. What a great adventure.

      Delete
  2. Who's the one telling tall tales now. Those that know me, know I speak the truth. Those that know both of us, definitely know I speak the truth!
    Blasphemy, that's what you are spreading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pistols at 10 paces my good man. If I had a gauntlet you would feel yourself slapped. You're not even worth wasting a good Spork.

      Delete