Sunday, January 10, 2016

Arctic explorations

We are not actually in the Arctic, but you would not know that from the weather.
After Amazon we came home to Minnesota for Christmas and to spend some time with family before we head south to warmer weather. 18 below zero is quite cold and if you factor in the wind chill it is probably feels like 30 below. That is one of the biggest factors of why we left this area. But on a positive note the sun is out today. We have not seen the sun since we got here Dec. 23rd and it is Jan. 10th. When it does get this cold you can see something rarely ever seen by most Americans. Snotcicles. Just use your imagination.
This is what 18 below looks like

Surprisingly, the truck starts. I have to keep it plugged in though. And the Jeep starts with out being plugged in. It turns over very slowly and makes some gawd awful noises until it warms up. Don't even think about washing anything here when it is this cold. For one thing the car washes close when it gets below 0 and if you do wash it the doors freeze shut.
Filthy vehicles
Somethings I had to re-learn when we got here. How to walk on ice again. You have to do the heel toe shuffle. Driving on ice also. It is always a butt cheek tightening experience. It keeps the adrenaline pumping sometimes. Fashion goes out the window. Now you just dress to be warm.
My son Roman
This is my son Roman who is going to the Vikings game today. The game is outside in Minneapolis. Negative 6 with a windchill of negative 25. I was asked if I wanted to go and I said I was not going to freeze my butt off for that.

There is a big scandanavian influence up north here. You could probably tell by our accents if you have met us. Guess what that says and what it is.

That is it in a nut shell. We are not frozen yet, but getting there. We hit the road again next week!


8 comments:

  1. Yes! A welcome door"bell". I'm a norsky, but without the accent :) Can you say aebleskiver,lefsa, or lutefisk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winner! All I can say is Hu sker do. Lisa can speak more because she went to Norwegian camp for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Just got back from the bar watching the game. Roman will be even more frustrated when he gets home! Keep us posted on your travel schedule, see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't seem to get the image of snotcicles out of my mind! Yuck! I know it's impossible to laugh your ass off but I imagine that freezing your ass of is possible sitting on bleachers in those kind of temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not nice to be outside. I forgot about winter survival kits for the cars.

      Delete
  5. Not quite as cold as MN, but we lived several years Upstate NY outside of Buffalo. COLD!! Thanks for the funny reminders of winter. Hope to see you down here where it's a little warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are anxious to get on the road again. In Buffalo you had to deal with the snow I bet.

      Delete