We have been on the road for over 3 years now, after selling our house and most all of our possessions. "Living the Dream" so to speak, traveling and exploring. People would ask us if we ever planned to get off the road and settle down again and we have always said that we don't see that happening in the near future. Little did we know how fast things can change in a blink of an eye.
Which brings us to our new dilemma. With the passing of Lisa's father, we have found ourselves homeowners again. He had a very nice house in Florida which he left to Lisa and her sister Heidi. We were in Minnesota when he passed away and the house has been sitting vacant since June. He summers up in Minnesota because of the Florida heat. So we scrapped our plans for this winter and cancelled all of our commitments and headed south to take care of his estate. There was a hurricane and we wanted to check for damage and to just occupy the house.
We got to Florida and walked into the house, which was a little weird. The last time we where there was in May and we had spent many good times with her dad all winter. Just walking into it the way he had left it 4 months ago was like I said, weird.
We really don't want to give up our lifestyle of traveling, and we don't want to get rid of his house. So that leaves us holding the bag to figure this out. For the time being we are turning in our membership for "full-timing" and getting a "part-timing" membership. The wheels of the legal system move very slowly here in Florida. So we have to take a "hurry up and wait" attitude to see how everything gets resolved.
So that is the dilemma we find ourselves in now.
Oh decisions are hard. I will be in that predicament eventually, but I'm an only child which makes it a bit easier.ReplyDelete
We are learning that you really need your ducks in a row.Delete
Life does have a way of throwing curveballs...... Knowing you and Lisa your decision will come to you and it will be the right one. In the meantime enjoy the pool and warm Florida weather!ReplyDelete
Thanks. We will (I mean I will) enjoy the pool and Lisa will wallow in the heat.Delete
Tough decisions. Time will bring clarity and you'll figure out what works for you all.ReplyDelete
Time is on our side, especially knowing that you guys are out west. Otherwise we would have to bug out fast. ;-)ReplyDelete
Tough decision to make for sure. I’m sure in time the right answer will come - give time time as they say. Hugs to you both!ReplyDelete
Thanks. We could have been enjoying the Amazon but instead we are sitting in Florida, in the heat and by the pool. Life sucks sometimes.Delete
Thinking of you guys. It's hard to say what we would do in a similar situation. It's tougher than we thought it would be making money while traveling and we have much less free time than we originally expected to have. I expect some big changes in our travel patterns this year as we try to figure out the right balance that will work financially for the long term. Wishing you guys all the best as you work through it.ReplyDelete
We have found that out also. So we will see how this plays out. Thanks.Delete
Well part timing is certainly better than no timing! We had to deal with my dad's estate a couple of years ago and it's certainly no picnic. Good luck to you both!ReplyDelete