Thursday, March 14, 2019

Bucket List: Disneyland

I was a child the last time I went to Disneyland. My parents would take us to California because my father and mother both had sisters that lived there. So usually around Christmas we headed west. I loved it. We had a class C motorhome so we could sleep while dad drove. He was obsessed when he got behind the wheel, never stopping. I think we made the trip in 2 days and us kids where thankful for the beds and the bathroom.

I remember one time we stayed at a small motel right across the street from Disney. We were maybe 10 at the oldest and we were given our ticket books and we walked to the corner. My brother and sister and I, then walked to the gate and did Disney by ourselves. You couldn't do that these days. Keep in mind things were different in the 70's.

Lisa has never been to Disneyland. Her family would always go to Disney World. La-tee-da! So it will be fun to take her on the Matterhorn and just see the original park that started it all.

That is right folks. Our big announcement for this next summer is that we are going to Disneyland.

By way of Anchorage.

Yes Anchorage? But isn't that a little bit out of the way? Maybe. So I am including the blog post from last summer when we made our decision.

July 18th 2018

For years when we started this traveling lifestyle, I have always wanted to take the drive up to Alaska. I would occasionally bring up the subject like this.

"You know Lisa, it's my birthday coming up, we should go to Alaska!" Or like this. "Let's go get some seafood, in Alaska!" To which everytime I would get an answer that goes something like this. "It's too cold, there are mosquitos and a woman just got attacked by a wombat* north of Anchorage last week. So no! And don't even get me started on the amount of Sasquatch sightings. Are you out of your gourd?"

*Wombats are native to Australia and don't normally attack people in Alaska. Just don't tell Lisa that.

But with a little luck and a lot of persistence, I asked the thousandth time and got this answer. " I think we should, and I am glad that I thought of it". Hey, that works for me. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. Not sure why or what that means.

We have been on the road for nearly 5 years now and so many people in the RV world have taken the trip up north. Not us though. Because of the cold, the mosquitos, the sasquatches and the wombats. It is almost like a pilgrimage for RV'ers. If you put 2 RV'ers together, the topic will eventually come up. "Have you been to Alaska?"

So now the fun begins. We are talking a year away so we have plenty of time to do our research and to plan our routes and stops and of course all of the amazing sights along the way.  Since this is going to be a "Once in a lifetime" trip. We have planed and have prepared to spend a little more money on things that we would normally not spend it on. Mainly tours. We hardly ever take tours when we are on the road. Also this is kind of a gift for us since this year will be our 30th Wedding Anniversary.

March 1, 2019

So we are busy planning our trip up to Alaska and then on our way back down the west coast to Disneyland. I am not sure of the mileage yet but I know it will be a lot. It will take at least 3 months and we will be living in our Hobbit House, aka the pick-up camper.

We are definitely ready for an adventure like that. Moose is going on and on non stop about seeing some moose. Lisa, I know wants to get a photograph with a Wombat. I prefer the Sasquatches.


12 comments:

  1. How fun! I think we will be the last ones to get up to AK. We have to wait for Steve to retire so a couple more years. Looking forward to your posts. I guess we’re safe for another year. Phew. Thought we might be crossing this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we have to get out of the area. It should be a fun trip.

      Delete
  2. How exciting! You are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't been to Disneyland since I was just a wee little lass.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that will be a fun trip! I’m with you on the gift horse. Mom used that a lot and I always wondered if she expected me to look at the other end of the pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not want the gift that comes out of that end.

      Delete
  4. Well how exciting! The Alaska part, and the Disney part. I grew up going to Disney almost every year. Sure remember those 'E' tickets. Hope you cruise by our neck of the woods on your way south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a fun trip. We will see where we end up.

      Delete
  5. A gift horse is a horse that was a gift, quite simply. When given a horse, it would be bad manners to inspect the horse's mouth to see if it has bad teeth. This can be applied as an analogy to any gift: Don't inspect it to make sure it matches some standard you have, just be grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are getting wiser in your old age. Or did you learn that from watching Cliff on Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Really happy for you guys. It’s amazing and I know you’ll have a blast. Can’t wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete